African Fruit Salad
This salad or comparable greens and fruit combinations are served in all parts of Africa. The salad is ideal for a group of women on any occasion and men also appreciate it on a hot day. It is especially appropriate for a weekend or outdoor luncheon.
- 2 quarts raw spinach
- 2 quarts lettuce
- 1 quart chicory
- 1 quart lettuce
- fresh pineapple cut in fingers, about 3 per bowl
- fresh mango in strips, about 2-3 per bowl
- avocado, dipped in lemon juice and cut in strips
- fresh coconut, cut in thin slices
- oranges (California type), thinly sliced with skins left on
- bananas, cut in chunks
- chopped peanuts (or coconut)
- 1 pint-basket strawberries or any berries in season.
- 4 limes
- 1 quart mayonnaise.
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- few drops green vegetable coloring
- In a 2-gallon bowl: stem, wash, and tear into medium-sized pieces: raw spinach, romaine, chicory andlettuce.
- Fill the bowls with the mixture of greens.
- Use any fresh fruits, coconut, and chopped peanuts in combinations like this:.
- Fresh pineapple cut in fingers, about 3 per bowl.
- Fresh mango in strips, about 2-3 per bowl.
- Avocado, dipped in lemon juice and cut in strips.
- Fresh coconut, cut in thin slices.
- Oranges (California type), thinly sliced with skins left on.
- Bananas, cut in chunks, thinly coated with mayonnaise and dipped in chopped peanuts (or coconut).
- And 1 pint-basket strawberries or any berries in season.
- Arrange the fruits attractively in the individual salad bowls or in one large bowl.
- Serve with lime dressing
- Grate limes, and add grated rinds with their juice to 1 quart mayonnaise.
- Fold in whipped cream sweetened with 2 tbsp sugar and a few drops green vegetable coloring.